Kids love to be creative. Decorating a pumpkin is a real fun and easy way to entertain and let them explore their artistic capabilities.
I painted 2 paper plates for each spider in black using paint. I then cut out a smaller circle as the head and glued on a pair of eyes. I used black and purple strips of construction paper as the legs for one spider and for the other used an orange weed chord that we had lying around in the garage. I used a hole puncher to make holes in the body and strung through cord that we had in the kitchen.
There are many different types of lanterns one can make for Halloween. This is my interpretation of what a witch’s lantern would look like….Just for fun.
You will need:
- 1 black construction paper
- 1 purple construction paper
- 1 green construction paper
- orange and white paint
- craft eyes
What to do:
- Take the black and purple construction paper and place it in front of you horizontally.
- Cut an inch strip vertically across from one of the sides on both sheets. The black strip will be the handle.
- Fold the paper in half, long ways. (like a hot dog, not a hamburger)
- Then cut lines, 1 centimeter wide, an inch apart from the middle where it’s folded, leaving an inch border at the end of the paper on both sides not cut. (Do not cut all the way through.)
- Glue the papers together at the borders.
- Roll the paper in the shape of a cylinder and glue it together. (This is the lantern)
- Glue on or tape on the handle for the lantern.
- Paint on a spider web with spiders with the white and orange paint.
- Trace or draw a frog with the green construction paper and cut it out. Also cut slit on the bottom middle of the frog at an angle about 1 inch long.
- Glue on the craft eyes to the frog.
- slide the frog in on top of lantern in front of the handle.
- Glue it on to make sure it stays.